Wednesday, March 13, 2013

In Defense of Duckie.

  

Andie and Duckie looking pensive and perfect together. 
Thanks to Netflix, I've been spending my free time shamelessly consuming 80's teen flicks. Last night, I indulged in the classic era-iconic movie, Pretty in Pink. Now, first I must admit, I've watched this movie throughout most of my teeny-bopper days and even before my daily obsession of the early 2000's, Gilmore Girls, told me it was cool to love Molly Ringwald and her flawlessly gaudy clothing. I've seen the film play in and out dozens of time, all the while wishing it would end with Andie (the beautiful leading home-made fashionista) and Duckie (her dorky, quirky, slightly effeminate best friend) together. Spoiler alert--- it never does. Never. Andie consistently winds up tongue-tangled with Blane (a pretty 'richie' with tame taste in music), and I remain slightly heartbroken over it.  So, what is it about the underdog that intrigues and pulls at my heartstrings so? What is it about Duckie that makes him the standout character?

Why I will always chose the "Duckie" in real life :

Duckie is shamelessly and genuinely in love and he makes it known to both Andie and the world on a regular basis. He shows his affections in a heart-on-his-sleeve manner and isn't ashamed to the one in a million boy who would devote his life to the happiness of another.  Oh, and he isn't afraid to jam out to a hard-core lip-syncing session, which makes him a golden boy in my book.  He would marry that girl in the blink of an eye if he only had a chance. Duckie is an individual. He is so splendidly unique it makes me question my routine wardrobe and mundane vocabulary. Maybe I should rock a bolo tie and use phrases like 'volcanic ensemble." His individuality makes him entirely unforgettable and his unwavering adoration makes him my prince charming in a patterned vest. 

Why the "Blanes" don't deserve us:

Blane is handsome, sure. But does he really get you? Could he ever know what really gets your blood flowing or your heart racing. I don't think so. Your taste in movies, music, and how you spend your free time are on two totally different rotating spectrums. And yeah, he could be the best kisser on the block, but is there any substance behind those lips. He has money and generic charm but he also lacks bravery and depth. There are instances and conflicts where Blane has the opportunity to defend Andie's existence to his own friends and yet he can't muster the courage. There is even a point when Blane stops talking to Andie altogether due to some nonsense his horrid side-kick of a friend feeds him. And now it's the end, and the audience is supposed to forgive so easily and fall madly in love with this khaki boy? Enjoy those hot kisses while they last Blane-lovers, I don't foresee a great future here. 

In all honesty, I've had my fair share of kissing and romancing both Blane and Duckie.  And I will always be in defense of the Duckies in the world. What some may deem strange or unfamilar, I find interesting and intriguing. When someone has something that sets them apart, they will forever be remembered. 

Moral of this horribly great 80's flick as seen through my eyes:

Find your something. Find the thing that is truly you, that one thing that makes you completely unique.  Once you find it, don't be ashamed of it. Clasp it tightly by the lapels and never let go. You are simply the best version of you. And your quirks are the most beautiful part. When you are in love. Say it.  Say it with a bravery like Duckie. No matter what happens in the end (even if the one you love doesn't return the affection or isn't meant to be with you) you can be proud  of yourself for displaying courage. Oh, and always, always, stick up for your friends and loved ones. They deserve that simple goodness. 

Truly, nothing makes a kiss greater than when it is from a duck-man who loves you, your scrunchies, mismatched earrings, oh, and of course that Pretty-in-Pink Prom dress.  



No comments:

Post a Comment